Sunday, March 31, 2013

Lesson #38 Kentucky Green Living Fair - Sustainable KY

Yesterday we attended the Kentucky Green Living Fair, the brain child of Sustainable KY LLC. It was in our hometown, which makes me a bit proud. What a great time and a HUGE turnout! KY seems to be slow in catching up with some of the rest of the world, but Kentuckians are often "green" without knowing they are protecting the environment and our future at the same time. Many folks just do what seems smart to them, and cost effective, and that is often in the "living green" zone. I am still very excited to have participated, we made the T-shirts of course, and in just attending. There was so much to see and do. First we attended a workshop on forest gardening, led by a local winery owners offspring, and that was very informative. It really got me thinking about how I can work with my (almost) 17 acres of forest, and not against it. It also got me thinking about what I enjoy growing. I really don't care about growing some traditional garden fare such as corn and green beans. I like both of those veggies, but I can get them fresh anywhere during the season. We ate food from Blue bird - A farm to table restaurant from Stanford KY, it was delicious. Rock Bottom-goat soap people, Hill and Hollow Farm- shiitake mushroom demo, composting demo, the good music playing, mead making, upcycled clothing, bee keeping, chicken raising, all the different food co-ops, and so so much more. We were so busy enjoying ourselves that we didn't take a single picture! Mark and I discussed yesterday how we could do a cob demo next year, and let people play in the mud!

No comments:

Post a Comment