Sunday, November 25, 2012

Lesson #20 Thanksgiving Creativity

I am always thankful for my wonderful, healthy, fabulous daughter and my equally wonderful husband. I am thankful for my life, my family unit, my great friends, and my freedom to homeschool. These are things I am forever gratefull for. I am a very blessed human being and I try to acknowledge that inwardly and aloud daily.

This year I am especially thankful for creativity. Last night (the night before Thanksgiving) as I was laying with Evie in our living room discussing the painting I had been working on I was thankful for her intellect. I was thankful for her ability to discuss the context, emotion, and complexity of art, to really engage in dialogue, to critique my piece. I was thankful for the time just to cuddle with her and as we talked about art the conversation led to Frida Kahlo and we discussed Frida as an artist and person. How her life was full of pain, joy, and art, and we looked at a few books I have on Frida that were close by on my bookshelf. We talked about how she really did LIVE in her short painful forty-seven years. As we talked, Mark was strumming his guitar, working on a new song. So his creative energy was our background to art discussion. When our conversation about Frida came to an end Evie was ready to go work on her novel that she is writing. She came back into the kitchen with writers block, but eventually went back to her own creative work.

I am thankful for the luxury that is creativity. I do not have to wait quietly in the woods to kill a deer, ensuring my family will eat. I do not have to worry about shelter or clothing for my family. Although we are not rich in monetary means, I know I do not have to worry about weather or not we will be able to pay our heating bill next week, or if we will have more food to feed ourselves and our pets. I have the luxury of being a creative spirit, and so do my husband and daughter, and I am basking in the light of all those creative juices flowing around my home.

               
Evie, my parents, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment